Thank you for your interest in being a part of iBme’s Finance & Legal Committee and joining our Collaborative Leadership Team.
Inward Bound Mindfulness Education (iBme) is a growing nonprofit offering in-depth mindfulness retreats and programming for teens and the parents and professionals who support them. Our model guides participants in developing self-awareness, compassion, and ethical decision making, and empowers them to apply these skills in improving their lives and communities. We believe that mindfulness and compassion have a powerful role to play in strengthening social justice advocacy and in transforming the deep underlying structures of the mind and the heart in order to reimagine and co-create a just and liberated world.
iBme’s Collaborative Leadership Team consists of seven mission-centered staff working with a set of standing committees, each of which have a representative on iBme’s Board of Directors, collaboratively governing iBme. Collaboration extends outward to tens of teachers, hundreds of volunteers, and all the teens and families we serve across the Unites States and Canada.
The Finance & Operations Committee will serve a key role in iBme’s evolving collaborative leadership system and support our efforts to create a sustainable, equitable, and responsive organization that embodies operational excellence and financial vitality. The Committee will serve as an advisory committee to provide input and feedback to iBme’s Staff, as well as to other iBme Committees. It will ensure that the fiduciary and legal responsibilities of iBme are being maintained and that those policies and procedures are in place to safeguard the organization’s assets. The Committee will accomplish its goals through oversight of iBme’s fiscal controls and human resource policies.
Committee General Responsibilities
Serves as an advisory council to provide input and feedback to iBme’s Finance & Legal staff lead and/or other iBme staff and committees in critical areas, such as—
- Create and maintain systems for ensuring the organization’s ongoing solvency.
- Oversee the development and/or maintenance of the organization’s financial policies, accounting practice related to budget development, general operations, and operating reserves.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable reporting requirements.
- Support the preparation of an annual budget, as well as regularly monitor and compare the actual revenues and expenses incurred against such budget.
- Keep the board apprised of key financial events, trends, and concerns, and assessments of the organization’s fiscal health.
- Give accurate and timely counsel to the staff on a variety of legal topics.
- Recommend internal governance policies and regularly monitor compliance.
- Draft and/or review documents related to the organization’s activities, which can include statements, contracts, or agreements.
- Ensure that the organization adheres to and complies with all state and national laws and regulations.
- Oversee compliance to bylaws and board policies and personnel and compensation policies.
Committee Member Expectations
- Initial commitment to serve a minimum of one (1) year on the Committee.
- Attend virtual Committee meetings generally four (4) times per year with the following general focus areas for each meeting. Additional meetings may be scheduled as required.
- Participate in our strategic planning process, if the timing overlaps with your tenure on the Committee.
- Select a Committee representative to serve on iBme’s Board of Directors in the capacity as Board Treasurer.
The ideal Committee will be composed of iBme community members with diverse lived experiences, skill sets, and tenure. At least one, and no more than two, members of the iBme Staff will sit on the Committee in a liaison and coordinator capacity.
Committee members can expect from iBme—
- The opportunity to contribute to and support a 10-year old, $1.3M growing national nonprofit dedicated to mindfulness education for young people.
- Compensation based on self-reported need, within our committee member stipend structure and resource flow criteria.
- Collaborative Leadership training.
iBme is committed to fostering a Collaborative Leadership Team that reflects and centers the diversity of our teachers and participants. We strongly encourage Black, Indigenous, and People of Color and LGBTQ+ identities to apply. iBme is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, age, sex, religion, national origin or ancestry, sexual orientation, citizenship, or ability.
To apply for a position within the Finance & Legal Committee please submit the below form by December 15th.
Thank you for your interest in joining the Collaborative Leadership Team of iBme. We look forward to reviewing your application.