Position: Director of Development
Founded in 2010, Inward Bound Mindfulness Education (iBme) is a growing nonprofit offering in-depth mindfulness retreats and programming for teens and the parents and professionals who support them. Our model guides participants in developing self-awareness, compassion, and ethical decision-making, and empowers them to apply these skills in improving their lives and communities.
The staff of iBme is a collaborative team of six mission centered individuals, tens of teachers across the US, and hundreds of volunteers. We value excellence, integrity, mutual support, open communication, and happiness in our office culture and organization. For more information, please visit ibme.com.
The Director of Development will have responsibility for iBme’s multifaceted development strategyand execution, coaching and training development support staff across the US, as well as supportingthe overall business strategy and financial health of the organization. Success would meanpartnering with the board, staff and field team to position the organization to deliver results thatmake iBme’s vision a reality.
The right candidate will feel strongly aligned with iBme’s mission, vision, and values and beenergized by and experienced with working in a collaborative environment that supports sharedleadership and distributed decision making. This means, in particular, honest feedback aboutcapacity and shared ownership of gaps in function within the team.
iBme functions as a collaborative non-hierarchical team. This means that we are each accountableto the team, the board and our community to achieve the goals established for our area ofresponsibility. There are no formal lines of reporting, however we do each have mentoring andcoaching relationships within the organization.This is an outstanding opportunity for an individual who wants to improve the future throughsupporting youth and has both a personal commitment to mindfulness and experience developmentto join a high impact, mission-driven organization.
- Develop and execute iBme’s annual fundraising plan, responsible for successfullyachieving iBme’s annual fundraising targets, currently $800,000 per year.
- Strengthen and diversify iBme’s funding sources including major donors, foundations,monthly giving, grassroots donors, events and corporate sponsorship.
- Develop and maintain ongoing relationships with major donors. Articulate, package,and communicate high-impact funding priorities for prospective and existing donors, with afocus on multi-year commitments.
- Create and execute a strategy for a large sustained base of annual individual donors.
- Plan and execute special events
- Support Development Team members in all aspects of fundraising, including database (Salesforce) entry/reporting/gift processing, event/meeting planning, bi-annual appeals/mailings, and stewardship calls.
- Coach and train Board members, peer solicitors and Regional Community Organizers to deepen their engagement with fundraising and further expand iBme’s network.
- Work with the communications/marketing team to identify key influencers and develop consistent messaging across all of iBme’s communications.
- Create a comprehensive stewardship program, determine an appropriate implementation timeline and execute accordingly.
- Determine readiness for comprehensive campaign planning, and begin to implement in collaboration with the Board and Staff, if/when appropriate.
- Continue to build a culture of philanthropy throughout iBme.
In addition support resource flow at iBme through:
- Development of iBme’s strategic five-year plan and annual business plans.
- Proposing new business models or business model improvements to decrease costs and increase revenue for the organization while keeping iBme’s mission and values at the center.
- Identify new sources of revenue and cost savings to ensure the financial health of the organization.
The right candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- Strong commitment and passion for the mission of iBme.
- Minimum of eight years of professional work experience in the field of development.
- Expansive knowledge of all aspects of fundraising including best practices for major gift programs with the ability to inspire donors
- Experience working in remote settings with knowledge of tools and technology such as Zoom and GSuite
- Proven leader who enjoys mentoring staff and sharing knowledge and can do so in remote work settings.
- Ability to think strategically, anticipate future consequences and trends, and incorporate them into the organizational plan.
- Entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning; able to act and react as necessary, even if limited information is available
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
To ensure alignment with the iBme culture, we are looking for a candidate that embodies thefollowing qualities:
- Strong interest and ideally ongoing experience in mindfulness and meditation
- Deep commitment to equity and interdependence both for our retreat participants and our local and field staff teams
- Ability to assess and adapt to changing priorities and take initiative in a fast-paced environment
- Focused on efficiency and high productivity while maintaining excellence
- Interpersonally skilled with the ability to communicate directly and warmly
- Willing to address issues proactively and problem-solve with coworkers
- Capacity to give and receive feedback to identify and co-hold challenges
- Interest in and willingness to explore and grow into making decisions with others based on known needs, impacts, and resources
This position will be mostly virtual with an opportunity to meet with staff on a weekly basis in Eastern MA. The salary range for this position is $80,000 – $90,000 and includes a generous benefits package, including health, dental, and vision insurance, a retirement plan, retreat reimbursement and a substantial PTO policy.
To apply: Please send your resume and cover letter detailing your specific interest in the job and relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org.
iBme is committed to fostering a diverse organization and strongly encourages minorities and individuals from diverse backgrounds to apply. iBme is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, age, sex, religion, national origin or ancestry, sexual orientation, citizenship, or disability.