Position: Executive Director
Founded in 2010, Inward Bound Mindfulness Education (iBme) is a growing nonprofit offering in-depth mindfulness retreats and programming for teens and the parents and professionals who support them. Our model guides participants in developing self-awareness, compassion, and ethical decision-making, and empowers them to apply these skills in improving their lives and communities.
The staff of iBme is a collaborative team of six mission centered individuals, tens of teachers across the US, and hundreds of volunteers. We value excellence, integrity, mutual support, open communication, and happiness in our office culture and organization. For more information, please visit ibme.com.
iBme is seeking to hire an experienced and committed individual to join our team as the Executive Director. The right candidate will feel strongly aligned with iBme’s mission, vision, and values and be energized by and experienced with working in a collaborative environment that supports shared leadership and distributed decision making.
The Executive Director will have responsibility for the development strategy and execution, business strategy and financial health, as well as team mentoring and coaching. Proven track record working with and coaching remote teams is a must. Marketing and community engagement experience is a big plus. Success would mean partnering with the board, staff and field team to position the organization to deliver results that make iBme’s vision a reality.
This is an outstanding opportunity for an individual who wants to improve the future through supporting youth and has both a personal commitment to mindfulness and experience in business strategy and development to join a high impact, mission-driven organization.
Development (60% of time)
- Responsible for successfully achieving iBme’s annual fundraising targets.
- Strengthen and expand iBme’s major gift program, with a particular focus on building relationships with donors and prospects (individual, foundation, and corporate) with six and seven-figure capacity.
- Manage Development Team members in all aspects of fundraising support, including database entry/reporting, event/meeting planning, bi-annual appeals/mailings, and stewardship calls.
- Coach and train Board members and peer solicitors to deepen their engagement with major gift fundraising and further expand iBme’s network.
- Articulate, package, and communicate high-impact funding priorities for prospective and existing donors, with a focus on multi-year commitments and the case for support at the major gift level.
- Work with the communications/marketing team to identify key influencers and develop consistent messaging across all of iBme’s communications.
- Create a comprehensive stewardship program, determine an appropriate implementation timeline and execute accordingly.
- Determine readiness for comprehensive campaign planning, and begin to implement in collaboration with the Board and Staff, if/when appropriate.
- Continue to build a culture of philanthropy throughout iBme.
Financial Health & Organizational Strategy (20% of time)
- Lead the development of iBme’s strategic five-year plan and annual business plans and implement new processes and approaches to achieve them.
- Propose new business models or business model improvements to decrease costs and increase revenue for the organization while keeping iBme’s mission and values at the center.
- Identify new sources of revenue and cost savings to ensure the financial health of the organization.
- Hold lead responsibility for the financial health of the organization including monitoring cash flow, budgets, long term financial plans and ensuring sound financial controls are in place.
- Lead the performance management process that measures and evaluates progress against goals for the organization.
- Advise the Board on financial planning, investment priorities, and policy matters.
- Coordinate the annual operations plan and budget.
Team Leadership & Coaching (20% of time)
- Mentor and inspire staff to continue to build their skills toward shared leadership and distributed decision making.
- Partner with all iBme staff to formulate and implement policies to meet the organization’s short- and long-term goals
- Help build a diverse, inclusive, and effective Board representative of the community that is highly engaged and willing to leverage and secure resources.
- Assume responsibility for overall organizational leadership.
The right candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- Strong commitment and passion for the mission of iBme.
- Proven manager who enjoys mentoring staff, sharing knowledge and supporting professional growth in others and can do so in remote work settings.
- Minimum of ten years of professional work experience in the field of development.
- Expansive knowledge of all aspects of fundraising including best practices for major gift programs with the ability to inspire donors
- Experience working in remote settings with knowledge of tools and technology such as Zoom and GSuite
- Ability to think strategically, anticipate future consequences and trends, and incorporate them into the organizational plan.
- Experience with P&L management and the ability to balance the delivery of high quality, mission aligned programs against the realities of a budget; problem solving, project management, and creative resourcefulness.
- Experience with business, marketing, community outreach, and fundraising in partnership with a wide range of stakeholders and cultures.
- Entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning; able to act and react as necessary, even if limited information is available
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
- Past success working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate existing Board member relationships.
To ensure alignment with the iBme culture, we are looking for a candidate that embodies the following qualities:
- Interest or experience in mindfulness or self-development
- Deep commitment to equity and interdependence both for our retreat participants and our local and field staff teams
- Ability to assess and adapt to changing priorities and take initiative in a fast-paced environment
- Focused on efficiency and high productivity while maintaining excellence
- Interpersonally skilled with the ability to communicate directly and warmly
- Willing to address issues proactively and problem-solve with coworkers
This position will be virtual with an opportunity to meet with staff on a weekly basis in Eastern MA. The salary range for this position is $90,000 – $100,000 and includes a generous benefits package, including health, dental, and vision insurance, a retirement plan, retreat reimbursement and a substantial PTO policy.
To apply: Please send your resume and cover letter detailing your specific interest in the job and relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org.
iBme is committed to fostering a diverse organization and strongly encourages minorities and individuals from diverse backgrounds to apply. iBme is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, age, sex, religion, national origin or ancestry, sexual orientation, citizenship, or disability.