Program Strategy, Equity, and Community Engagement Role
Collaborative Leadership Team
Founded in 2010, Inward Bound Mindfulness Education (iBme) is a growing nonprofit offering in-depth mindfulness retreats and programming for teens and the parents and professionals who support them. Our model guides participants in developing self-awareness, compassion, and ethical decision-making, and empowers them to apply these skills in improving their lives and communities.
The staff of iBme is a collaborative team of six mission-centered individuals, tens of teachers across the US, and hundreds of volunteers. We value excellence, integrity, mutual support, open communication, and well-being in our office culture and organization.
This new role will take lead on the programmatic elements of iBme’s strategic vision, particularly the development of new programs and partnerships. Two core goals of this position include more fully incorporating an equity lens into iBme’s programs and engaging our existing regional communities in the evolution of our programs. This is an exciting moment for the organization as we celebrate our 10 year anniversary and look ahead to the next decade of impact.
It is also a time of great change and opportunity as our co-founder and former executive director transitions out of a staff role and as our programming responds to a global pandemic, overdue social justice movements, and climate change — all issues by which young people are particularly impacted. We are in a strong position, based on years of successful growth and a large committed network of teachers, teens, families, and volunteers, to envision how our unique programming can contribute even more to a future that values and nourishes life and well-being for all.
We are looking for a committed, responsive, and innovative teammate who is excited by the possibilities and ready to work with our community to envision and then operationalize the next ten years of transformative programs.
This position will work closely with all members of the administrative team and particularly with the other members of the Program Team. This role will also work in collaboration with iBme’s newly established Teachers Advisory Council (TAC) for input on new programs, community outreach, and curriculum development. The TAC is made up of 5-7 retreat teachers from across the retreat regions. This position will also guide and support iBme’s Regional Community Organizers, who lead outreach and engagement in each region where we host retreats.
Qualities, Skills, and Experience
We are looking for someone who:
- Is aligned with iBme’s values and staff competencies
- Is a committed and experienced meditation practitioner
- Has deep personal and lived commitment to equity, justice, and diversity
- Has meaningful experience with youth contemplative programs, specific iBme experience preferred
- Has experience developing and guiding youth programming
- Has experience with with community organizing
- Loves to collaborate with a diverse group of community members and is excited about collaborative leadership, feedback, and distributed decision making
- Is innovative and also pragmatic
- Has experience in budgeting and financial literacy, experience with non-profit program budgeting preferred
- Has strong relationship building skills
- Has successful experience leading initiatives in collaboration with colleagues
- Has strong, inclusive facilitation skills and experience
- Has comfort and experience with public speaking
- Work closely with iBme’s Teacher Advisory Council and Program Team to establish the program vision, strategy, and results
- Envision, strategize, and operationalize new programs, partnerships, and collaborations for iBme’s next decade of impact
- Work closely with iBme’s regional communities to vision the evolution of our programming with our core teen retreat programming remaining at the center
- Build new relationships with community partners, schools, and mindfulness organizations
- Lead online programming strategy
- Establish new retreats in new locations nationally and internationally based on a clear strategic and tactical plan with deep community support and engagement
- Consider all new programs through an equity lens, by both establishing equity metrics and goals, and ensuring accountability to them
- Support the existing Program team on all existing program needs, logistics, registration, staffing, etc.
- Collaborate with and support facilitation of the newly established Teacher Advisory Council (TAC)
- Meet bi-weekly with the TAC, plan agendas, implement and track decisions
- Support the TAC in their primary responsibilities of determining teaching teams, updating and creating program curriculum, supporting on-retreat challenges and conflicts, advising on all new programs and partnerships
- Co-hold equity leadership to establish organizational wide equity and interdependence goals
- Create metrics to track equity outcomes as a core component of programming
- Support other areas of equity at iBme including community wide discussions and staff training.
- Is responsible for equity goals related to new program development, partnerships, and community organizing.
- Lead on Community Organizing in our regional model
- Identifying equity goals related to community organizing – who and how do we want to be partnering
- Creating new partnerships with the goal of bridging gaps in access as they currently exist
- Working with existing community members, teachers and staff, teacher trainees, and donors to tighten and build regional networks
- Establish and Lead Youth Leadership Strategy for iBme’s programs
- Identify, guide, and support Regional Community Organizers (RCOs)
- RCOs are responsible for local community and partnership building, engaging new and existing community members: staff, teens, families and alumni
- Envision and evolve the roles and responsibilities of RCOs.
This position will be virtual with an opportunity to meet with staff on a monthly basis in Eastern MA. We welcome applications from all areas of the country.
We determine salary collaboratively and transparently as a team. Our current salaries range $55,000-$90,000. We base salary discussions on the following criteria, and we’d invite you into this process if you were hired:
- Total budget availability
- Level of responsibility
- Historical disadvantage/privilege
- Personal financial needs
- 150% maximum range from lowest to highest salaries (except for considerations in #3)
- Commitment over time
Benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance; a retirement plan; retreat reimbursement; and substantial PTO.
Please send your resume and cover letter detailing your specific interest in the job and relevant experience to email@example.com.