Are you interested in supporting the work of Inward Bound Mindfulness as a Director on our Board?
The Inward Bound Board of Directors attends to organization-wide issues and maintains a big picture, systems perspective. The Board provides governance and financial oversight and fulfills the legal roles and responsibilities of operating a 501(c)3 nonprofit. Board members support Inward Bound’s mission and vision and serve as ambassadors for the organization.
During this exciting period, we are moving to the next phase of our Collaborative Leadership System by strengthening our Board capacity and executing our multi-year strategic plan.
Board Member responsibilities include attendance at regular board meetings (average four times/year), as well as teleconference meetings and active electronic conversations as part of Board committees (Board service typically requires an average of 5 hours per month.) Board members also hold a fiduciary responsibility for management of organizational capital and ensuring appropriate filings with federal, state, and local authorities consistent with the organization’s status as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. For more information about Board roles and responsibilities, please refer to: Introduction for Potential Members of Inward Bound’s Board of Directors.
We are looking for members who:
- have passion for and personal connection to the Inward Bound mission and the capacity and time to work with the Board;
- have expertise to contribute to the Board, particularly in the areas of fundraising, finance, legal, nonprofit management, business strategy, and best practices in oversight for small to mid-sized nonprofits;
- are comfortable serving as a fiduciary (or willingness to become comfortable doing so);
- have knowledge of and dedication to diversity, equity, inclusivity, accessibility, and racial justice; and,
- are interested in fostering Inward Bound’s Collaborative Leadership model for shared decision-making and strategy-building and modeling our core values
Board positions require a time and energy commitment. Candidates are urged to consider personal and professional priorities for the next year as well as the ways to contribute to the development of the organization.
Interested? Have questions? Please email Board Secretary Jen Heitel at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions, or if you would like to schedule a phone call with a current Board member.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. Review of the first set of applications received will begin on December 1st. Copies of your application will be shared with current Board members and will aid in understanding how you hope to contribute to our work.
Time and Financial Considerations
- Meetings: Quarterly board meetings
- Committee Work (as applicable): Generally monthly meetings and/or by email/Slack
- Donations: Members will be solicited for a cash or in-kind donation; 100% participation is sought; however, this is not a requirement; the amount is optional but we ask that Board members consider what level of support is possible for them.
Inward Bound does not want financial need to inhibit anyone from serving on our Board of Directors. In turn, Board members may be compensated for their time or serve in a volunteer capacity. It is Inward Bound’s strong preference that the Board Treasurer serve in a volunteer capacity in order to prohibit real or perceived conflict of interest.